When someone hears the Gospel and believes, comes to faith in Christ and becomes a follower of Jesus, it is essential that they begin reading, learning, and understanding God’s Word.
Once they begin growing in God’s Word, they will begin growing in their relationship with Christ. As they are growing in their relationship with Christ, they will find themselves desiring to know and understand more and more of God’s word. If this growth is not visible and evident in a believer then there are some legitimate concerns.
John 17:17 Jesus prayed “Sanctify them in the truth; Your Word is truth.”
Here is a list of 8 Bible verses, or passages, that I believe all Christians should know (This is not to imply that someone is not a Christian if they do not know these. Nor are these the very first that someone must read or learn.):
- John 3:16
- Genesis 1:1 (The first verse in the Bible)
- John 14:6
- Psalm 23
- Matthew 28:18-20 (The Great Commission)
- Exodus 20:1-17 (The 10 Commandments)
- Matthew 22:37 (The Great and First Commandment)
- Matthew 22:39 (The Second Greatest Commandment)