My wife, Valeria, has been reading the book The Best of J.C. Ryle and it blessed me so much when she shared this chapter with me. Valeria has enjoyed reading Ryle since she first heard of him while in college.
In chapter 6 entitled “Bible Reading,” Ryle writes:
“Give me your attention while I supply you with a few plain reasons why every one who cares for his soul ought to value the Bible highly, to study it regularly, and to make himself thoroughly acquainted with its contents.”
Here are his 8 points:
- There is no book in existence written in such a manner as the Bible.
- There is no knowledge absolutely needful to a man’s salvation, except a knowledge of the things which are to be found in the Bible.
- No book in existence contains such important matter as the Bible.
- No book in existence has produced such wonderful effects on mankind at large as the Bible.
- No book in existence can do so much for every one who reads it rightly as the Bible.
- The Bible is the only rule by which all questions of doctrine or of duty can be tried.
- The Bible is the book which all true servants of God have always lived on and loved.
- The Bible is the only book which can comfort a man in the last hours of his life.
I especially like those last 2 points. If you have never read any J.C. Ryle, I highly recommend it.